Celebrate Independent Bookstore Day at
Writer’s Block Bookstore
Saturday, April 29
parties, author readings, in-store events, and
exclusive day-of merchandise.
Winter Park, FL, April 29th 2017 Independent Bookstore Day marks its third year of celebrating independent bookstores nationwide on Saturday, April 29th, with literary parties around the country.
Writer’s Block Bookstore will be celebrating with GIVEAWAYS, A SCAVENGER HUNT FOR SPECIAL DISCOUNTS, BALLOONS, REFRESHMENTS, ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS, A DEDICATED STORYTIME READING NANETTE’S BAGUETTE WRITTEN BY AUTHOR MO WILLIAMS, AT 11:00 AM “This is a special time for our bookstore as we celebrate our third year in Central Florida. Independent Bookstore Day will showcase the importance of having an independent bookstore in the community.” Lauren Zimmerman, owner.
In addition, we will have the newly released book called, My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, where Writer’s Block Bookstore is showcased as one of the celebrated bookstores.
In "My Bookstore" our greatest authors write about the pleasure, guidance, and support that their favorite bookstores and booksellers have given them over the years. The relationship between a writer and his or her local store and staff can last for years or even decades. Often it's the author's local store that supported him during the early days of his career, that continues to introduce and hand-sell her work to new readers, and that serves as the anchor for the community in which he lives and works. "My Bookstore "collects the essays, stories, odes and words of gratitude and praise for stores across the country.
Writer’s Block will also offer exclusive day-of merchandise created especially for Independent Bookstore Day by major publishers and authors. Since its inception in 2014, more than 120 authors have demonstrated their support for independent bookstores by donating work for Bookstore Day.
The third annual National Independent Bookstore Day is sponsored in part by Penguin Random House, Ingram, and The American Booksellers Association. Last year participating bookstores saw an average increase in sales of 200% on Independent Bookstore Day, with some stores up as much as 1000% over their average Saturday sales in April.
“There are those who love Christmas, and those who love Valentine's Day, and those for whom Independent Bookstore Day is the only holiday that matters. Three cheers to the readers, the writers, the booksellers, the kiddos, the dogs, the cats, and the bookstores that bring us all together!” says our 2017 Bookstore Day Author Ambassador, Emma Straub. Straub is the bestselling author of three novels, Modern Lovers, The Vacationers, Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures, and a short story collection, Other People We Married. She is also, with Michael Fusco, the owner of Books Are Magic, a new bookstore opening this spring in Brooklyn.
Independent Bookstore Day is proud to announce a selection of exclusive books and art pieces for Bookstore Day 2017. These limited edition, unique items will be available only at participating IBD bookstores, on April 29. Not before. Not online. And not in chain stores.
Children’s items include:
• An Elephant & Piggie onesie by Mo Willems This soft cotton onesie featuring Mo Willems’ wonderful Elephant and Piggie and an encouragement to READ makes the perfect baby gift for bibliophiles.• A Child of Books by Oliver Jeffers. From the acclaimed New York Times bestseller A Child of Books, Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston offer an exclusive signed fine art print for book lovers of all ages. Jeffers’s elegant image combined with Winston’s typographical landscapes inspires readers to create, to question, to explore, and to imagine.
• “Create Your Own” Little Golden Book. 2017 marks the 75th anniversary of LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS – a brand that has revolutionized children’s book publishing by making high-quality illustrated books at affordable prices, and therefore available to millions on families across the globe.
Adult items include
• Story: The Sandmeyer Reaction. A signed, limited, and bound edition of a story cut from Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon’s new novel, Moonglow.• A Literary Cocktail Party: Favorite Drinks from Our Favorite Writers. A modern take on a classic cocktail guide, from 30 American writers. Learn to make an Old Fashioned with Daniel Handler; discover Julia Glass’s namesake cocktail, the Julia’s Glass; or just sit back and enjoy the simple pleasure of champagne bubbles with Emma Straub. Other authors sharing their favorite drinks include Viet Thanh Nguyen, Sloane Crosley, Amor Towles, Lauren Groff, James Patterson, and many others.
• An Author’s Best Friend: Canine Canvas Pouch. This handy 100% cotton canvas zippered pouch (perfect for pencils, make up, cash and other sundries) features portraits of real author dogs like Sparky Patchett and Jennie Sendak. All hand-drawn especially for IBD.
• Audiobook giveaways from Libro.fm, the digital audiobook platform for independent bookstores. Visitors to IBD stores can download a half dozen complimentary digital audiobooks, including William Morrow’s lead title, The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck, David Foster Wallace’s classic A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again, and books for young readers such as Shadow House #1 by Michael Northrop.
To see all of the exclusive items created for IBD and for all current information, visit:
About Independent Bookstore Day
Independent Bookstore Day began in California in 2014 and became a national event the next year. A host of publishers and authors such as Neil Gaiman, George Saunders, Roxane Gay, Lauren Groff, James Patterson, Stephen King and many others have donated work in support of the event. Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is produced by writer and former bookseller Samantha Schoech in partnership with the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association. Its sponsors include Penguin Random House, Ingram, and the American Bookseller’s Association. www.indiebookstoreday.com
Follow Independent Bookstore Day:
Facebook at Facebook.com/BookstoreDay
About Writer's Block Bookstore
A community bookstore in your neighborhood. We have been located off of Park Ave for almost three years and have been bringing your favorite authors into town. We curate our stock based on the community’s wants and needs, but always have the latest releases. We have your favorite book.